What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation Dentistry may change everything you've ever thought about dentistry! A Sedation Dentistry appointment is completely different from a standard dental appointment. There's no anxiety and no fear. Patients tell us they felt no pain and that the whole appointment just felt like a pleasant dream! Not what most people expect from a dental visit! Sedation Dentisty is the answer for patients who want to experience dental care in a state of complete relaxation; no worries, fears or sense of time passing. Your treatment is performed more comfortably than you may have ever thought possible! Though avoiding the dentist may be a natural response to your phobia, it can be a long-term mistake. Many times, irreversible damage occurs before you even develop a single symptom. However, it is important to remember that you are not alone. There are millions of people who are in the same situation. Sedation Dentistry may finally free you of your dental phobias! We have successfully helped hundreds of others just like you. Let us help restore your confidence and give you the peace of mind in knowing you've attained oral health.
Am I a candidate? If you suffer from any of the following, then Sedation Dentistry is for you.
- High anxiety about dental care
- Fear of needles
- Strong gag reflex
- Difficulty getting numb
- Traumatic dental experiences in the past
- Complex dental issues
- Physical limitations such as back or neck pain
- TMJ issues that prevent you from holding your mouth open
- Hate noises and/or smells associated with dental treatment
- Sensitive teeth
- Simply too busy for multiple dental visits
How will I feel during my appointment?
Though you are responsive and can communicate for the entire procedure, terms such as 'sleep dentistry' and 'twilight dentistry' have been used to describe how patients feel. You will be in a state of extreme relaxation, but still be able to respond to team members and the Dentist when necessary. Most patients have little to no memory of their appointment and absolutely no sense of time passing by. In fact, patients tell us the whole appointment just feels like a pleasant dream.
How safe is Sedation Dentistry?
Extremely safe. Our entire team and Dentists have gone through extensive training to ensure the safety of our patients. During your appointment, you are constantly monitored and will have a specially trained team member with you at all times. Prior to your appointment, our Dentists will review your complete medical history, all of your current medications as well as your current medical conditions to design a customized plan that ensures both the safety and effectiveness of your Sedation visit. Our Dentists may choose to sedate you using oral sedatives, IV sedation or a combination of both. Your visit will be taylored to your specific needs.
What are the advantages of Sedation Dentistry?
- Complete comfort and relaxation during dental treatment
- Little or no memory of your visit
- Less post operative discomfort
- Fewer visits
How does a Sedation Dentistry Appointment Work?
- At your first appointment our team members will gather information on your overall health. We discuss your desires and concerns and answer any questions you may have. If you are able, we will take x-rays and complete a full exam.
- To ensure that you will get a good nights rest and wake up relaxed, we may dispense or prescribe a sedative the day before your appointment. A responsible person will have to bring you, pick you up, and remain with you for 24 hours following your appointment.
- The day of your appointment, your companion will bring you to our office. Once seated, you will then be given additional medication to ensure you achieve the ultimate in relaxation.
- Before you are dismissed, our team members will go over postoperative instructions with your companion and ask that they stay with you until you have recovered from your medications.
- One of our team members will contact you the following day to see how you're feeling and answer any questions you may have.
What procedures are performed under Sedation?
Just about any. The Sedation is not for the procedure itself, but for the anxiety that accompanies the procedure.
Will my insurance cover Sedation?
Most insurance plans do not cover sedation of any kind, for any reason. We will be happy to review your benefits and let you know. If necessary, we can assist you in applying for financing.